In recognition of National Safety Month, we here at Liedkie Moving & Storage make it a point to share a message of safety with our Albany moving customers in June and throughout the year. Last week we shared some tips and resources for packing safely when preparing for your Albany move. This week we place our safety focus on moving day itself. We want you, your pets, your family and your movers to have a safe and pleasant moving experience.
So you are all packed up, ready to load and move to your new home. Whether you hired movers or are moving yourself, the safety of everyone involved is a top priority. Here is a small checklist to get you thinking about safety on your Albany moving day:
- Small children and pets-It is best to have someone look after your small children and pets on safety day. Doors will be propped open and people will be moving heavy items out of the home and onto a truck. Children and pets could easily wander outside and possibly get lost. They could also get in the way of heavy dangerous lifting and risk being hurt. They will be safer off the premises in the care of friends or family.
- Keep all walkways and doorways free from obstacles-Periodically check the residence inside and out throughout the moving process. Helpers could trip and fall with heavy items if passageways are not left clear.
- When disassembling furniture-Use the proper tools and place them in a safe place when not in use.
- Be sure to keep a first aid kit handy-This is one thing you do not want to pack and load. Keep one near you through the move day should anyone need it.
- Food and water-Keep hydrated throughout the day and remember to eat for strength and endurance. Water and healthy snacks should be set aside in a tote for a quick grab when you need it.
- Rest-Get plenty of necessary rest the night before your move so you are alert and refreshed.
- Dress for the climate conditions-you may need protective clothing to stay warm, cool or dry. Wear sunscreen and bug repellant if necessary.
- If you are moving yourself-Be sure to have heavy duty gloves to protect your hands while lifting your items. Make sure you have the right moving gear such as handcarts and straps for heavy items.
- Lock up-Check all windows and doors. They should be closed properly and locked to protect the dwelling after you are gone.
This not an inclusive list as every move has its own safety considerations. We just wanted to get you thinking about keeping safe on Albany moving day. Take some time before you move to think about safety in and around your move, and then make your helpers aware of anything they would need to know to keep everyone safe. Avoid moving accidents. Keep alert and aware on Albany moving day. Liedkie Moving & Storage wish you a safe and pleasant move!