It’s that time of year again! Students all over the country have already started their back to school shopping. Whether with excitement or dread, they are going back. Students returning to the same school pretty much know what to expect but starting a new school equals a big bunch of unknowns.
Are you an Albany mover with children getting ready to move or just settling in? Will your children be starting a new school? Liedkie Moving & Storage know from many years working with our Albany Move customers that this can create feelings of uncertainty and a bit of dread. Settling into a new home and neighborhood is a huge adjustment, but add the adjustment to a new school on top of that and that is a lot of change for a child. However, it can be a very positive experience and one we would like to help you with.
Liedkie Moving & Storage is happy to provide tips and resources for our Albany Movers to help their kids adjust to a new school.
- Make a memory scrapbook-Before your child begins the new school, make a scrapbook together including photos of the old school, teachers, friends, school art work, projects and programs from music and sporting events. This is a wonderful way to introduce yourself to new teachers and friends when you arrive at your new school. They will see that you were a happy member of a school community and help to create a bond and connection into the new school. Your child will feel proud to have something to share about where he or she comes from. Sharing the scrapbook will give kids in the new school a way to get to know your child better taking some mystery out of the new comer.
- Contact the school-You will need to register your child but also ask what programs they might have to help your child feel at home there. Many schools have student guides and mentors that were chosen by their teachers and counselors specifically for their welcoming friendly nature to guide and assist your child in getting around and for making introductions to new classmates. Your school will most likely have visiting days and or events for new students.
- Reach out to the new teacher-Perhaps you will have the opportunity to meet with the teacher before your student begins school so they can get to know one another. If not, look into the possibility of a phone call and/or emailing. This will help your child feel more comfortable entering a new classroom for the first time.
- Get to know your neighbors-As you are moving in and settling in, you might have an opportunity to meet some of your neighbors. Your neighbors might have school students themselves or will most likely know if there are children in the neighborhood that attend the same school. This might be an opportunity to meet new schoolmates outside of school.
- Extra-curricular activities-It is a good idea for Albany Movers to look into your new area ahead of time and see if your child’s favorite extra-curricular activities are offered by the school or in the community. If your child participates in a sport, music, scouts etc., they will be at ease to know that they will have an immediate common connection with other students who participate in the same activity. If you move during summer, your child may even be able to become involved with their favorite sport or activity before school even starts, helping him or her to make new friends.
- Once your child begins forming new connections, give him or her the opportunity to communicate back to their old school friends through sharing photos and stories of their new school experience. It will reinforce their new connections and help them feel proud of their new school.
We found more great tips for Albany Movers with students in the following articles:
- 9 Ways to Help Your Child Adjust to a New School
- “So, You’re the New Kid on the Block”: How to address the pressure and adjustment of moving and beginning a new school.
- Moving With Teens
Yes, there will be unknowns but this can be an exciting and hopeful time too. Liedkie Moving & Storage would like our Albany Movers to know we understand. We are here to take the stress out of your move. Happy Housewarming to our Albany Movers and good luck to your children in their new schools!